Legal-for-Trade scales are intended for commercial use applications. They are used when a product is sold by weight. Listed below are some examples where a Legal-for-Trade scale may be needed for commercial weighing:
- Determination of mass for commercial transactions
- Determination of mass for the calculation of a toll, tariff, tax, bonus, penalty, remuneration, indemnity or similar type of payment
- Determination of mass for laws or regulations; expert opinion given in court proceedings
- Determination of mass in the practice of medicine for the purposes of monitoring, diagnosis and medical treatment
- Determination of mass for making up medicines on prescription in a pharmacy
- Determination of mass in analyses carried out in medical and pharmaceutical laboratories
- Determination of price based on mass for the purposes of direct sales to the public and the making-up of pre-packages
Commercial weighing and measuring equipment is defined as, “weights and measures and weighing and measuring devices commercially used or employed in establishing the size, quantity, extent, area, or measurement of quantities, things, produce, or articles for distribution or consumption, purchased, offered, or submitted for sale, hire, or award, or in computing any basic charge or payment for services rendered on the basis of weight or measure” according to NIST Handbook 44 and 130.
The National Conference on Weights and Measures (NCWM) and the Weights and Measure division of the National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST) formed the National Type Evaluation Program (NTEP) that certifies Legal-for-Trade weighing equipment.
NTEP is a process that tests and evaluates weighing equipment to ensure compliance with NIST Handbook 44. If you’re considering a Legal-for-Trade scale, you will need to look for NTEP approval and a valid certificate of conformance number. GRM is a premier distributor for over 25 weighing and measuring equipment manufacturers. We professionally sell, calibrate and install legal-for-trade scales and balances. Contact us for further information!